Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blog Assignment #4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?


I was really intrigued by Scott McLeod's post Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?. I think this post was very well written. I was a little thrown off at first, but thought this was a great way to make a point. I think that technology plays a very important part in helping our children to learn, and those that keep them from using technology are only harming them. 


I visited Scott McLeod's webpage, and took a look around. He seems to be very up to date with technology. It was interesting to learn that he was the co-creator of the Did You Know? videos.


The iSchool Initiative


I think The iSchool Initiative is a great concept. I can see the opportunity for parents, students, teachers, and schools to save money. By eliminating paper, books, pencils, etc, each school system could save a great deal of money, but I do not think that you can completely rid schools of these items. There seem to be many pros to the iSchool Initiative, but I can't seem to fathom having everything we do in schools linked to an iPod or an iPad. 


iPodThe iSchool Initiative would give parents access to their children's assignments from any phone or computer, which is a great idea. But I also think that this would eliminate the parent-teacher relationship which I feel is important. Also, everything being on an iPod would eliminate face-to-face interactions between teachers and students. 


As apprehensive as some teachers are to using technology today, I think that it would be extremely difficult to implement this program.


 The Lost Generation


I think The Lost Generation is an amazing video. As I watched, all I could think about what how much time went into making it. So, I had to watch it again! I definitely think that is a quick fix society, and hopefully there is a way to reverse it. This video conveys a great message! 


Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir


This Virtual Choir is unbelievable. The things that can be done with technology today still continue to amaze me. If something of this magnitude can be create by a group of people that have never even met, then I can only imagine what else could be accomplished. Working together on the internet like this makes the possibilities seem infinite. 

2 comments:

  1. Krystin, I disagree with you on the elimination of parent-teacher, student-teacher relationships by using ischool. As I understood the video, the children would still go to school but by using ischool it would make it easier for communication between everyone and make it easier for the students not to have to lug books back and forth to school. The children would still interact with the teacher and the parents would have a better chance of keeping up with what was going on in the classroom with ischool. I actually like the idea. I don't always have time to go to each school and conference with teachers. I have four children in school. I have relied heavily on texting and emailing this year. My daughter's kindergarten teacher texts me all the time when she needs me to come help out, or if my child is having a bad day. If we were connected by ischool it would be basically the same way. I get text messages from PTA about volunteering opportunities, and it is easier to respond by text or email. Now, I am an old fashion person. I do like to be able to speak with someone face to face, but sometimes it is easier to just shoot an email or text without all the talking and being held up for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krystin,

    I think Lola's point is well taken because she has actually experienced when technology has helped a parent and a teacher's relationship. Maybe there is some other improvements that the ischool might need before it is really considered.


    Good post Krystin, Keep up the good work!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete