Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Assignment #8

This Is How We Dream


The world of technology is ever changing. As of right now, I do not think that I am ready to write with multimedia or to teach children to do so. But I am prepared to lean. One of the blogs I followed for Comments for Kids was a little boy named Silas. The videos and things this boy made amazed me. His group made animated videos about lessons they were currently doing in class.  I would love to be able to teach my future students to do this. When I was in elementary school the only time we used a computer was was to take an accelerated reading test, then in middle school we were required to take a typing class. Today the possibilities children have with computers were endless. I think that children are beginning to use more advanced technology at a younger age because they have continued exposure to it. But in order to teach children to use technology, teachers need to stay up to date. 

The Chipper Series and EDM for Dummies

I thought the video was funny. In the beginning of the video Chipper was complaining about not being able to get her work done "on time". She goes on to complain about Dr. Strange's teaching style and decides to drop out of school. After her many endeavors, none of which worked out, she decided to return to school. I think this video was trying to make the point that we need to be independent learners. No one is going to do everything for you. If you want to succeed at something you are going to have to put forth a little effort. 

I watched the EDM 310 for Dummies video at the beginning of the semester and I love how it was set up like an infomercial. I was hesitant at the start of this class and thought I needed an EDM for Dummies book. I feel like I have gotten more from this class though by having to "figure it out" on my own. 

Critiques of Smartboards

After reading Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative and Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards I thought they pretty much made the same argument. If a teacher is not using the Smartboard or other interactive whiteboards properly, then it is just a waste of money. This blog is one I found that is in favor of Smartboards.  I think that the Smartboards are able to replace many other items in the classroom such as the regular whiteboard, the over-head projector, the television for watching videos, the VCR/DVD player, etc. The website Teachers Love Smartboards is a great resource to show what can be done with Smartboards. It has lesson plans and games an interactive lessons that can be done with a Smartboard.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I was the same way with computers when I was in elementary school. We didn't use them much. I actually didn't start using a computer very much at all until I was required to for projects when I was a junior in high school. It amazes me to see kids so young being able to do so much with technology and computers. Exposure is a key player in this.

    I liked these videos as well. I agree with your outlook on what the videos were trying to get across. I thought I would need the "EDM for Dummies book. After all of the things we have had to to do so far in this class, I'm feeling pretty good about it all. It is a lot to take in at once and a lot of work, but it seems to get easier.

    I actually went to the same "Teachers Love Smartboards" site to find a positive argument or ways the smartboard can be used. After trying to find positive replies about smartboards, I found that there are more people who were against them than for them. I personally don't think they make that big of an impact on a classroom. I have never seen one used, nor have I ever used one myself. So, my assumption could be wrong. I hope to try one out one day and see how great they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Krystin!

    My main position on the smartboard debate is that its just like anything else, everyone has an opinion and people will debate just about anything. But comparing the smartboard to the chalkboard is about like comparing picking cotton by hand to using the cotton gin, it defies common sense. The smartboard is a great tool and its effectiveness depends on the user. If the teacher has an open minded and creative attitude it will be extremely beneficial for all who are involved. If the teacher is not open minded and has a negative attitude about the smartboard it will be useless. It is as simple as that. SS

    ReplyDelete